Free workshop for members
CVs/Résumés/Career Summaries - How to make an impact in writing
The date and time: 23 April, 10.30am-4.30pm
60-62 Clapham Road
The ability to produce a CV/Career Summary/Résumé in a way that makes you stand out from the crowd is crucial. It should be clear, straightforward and deliver an immediate and accessible snapshot of why you are the ideal candidate. A general ‘one size fits all’ document just won’t do.
This workshop aims to give you the tools to assess each opportunity and how best to construct and tailor your CV/career summary/written introduction to get yourself noticed. It includes:
- Initial review of each other’s CVs/career summaries
- Analysing the function and purpose of these key documents: what you want this information to do for you?
- How that knowledge can help to produce a new document, tailored to specific clients and markets
- Specific fundamentals of effective CV/career summary writing
- Assessment/review of ‘mock’ CVs /career summaries
- Identifying key achievements and vital experiences that should be highlighted in your CV/career summary
- Re-designing your CV /career summary foundation document
- Next steps to re-working your CV/career summary.
The workshop includes a number of practical exercises in which you will get the chance to work individually and in pairs. You will need to bring a hard copy of you CV/career summary/written introduction.
Who should attend?
This course is relevant to anyone who wants to improve the way they present themselves in writing with the aim of getting a specific interview or audition.
By the end of the workshop, participants will:
- Have a clear idea of what an effective CV/career summary looks like
- Have made the first steps to update their own
- Have a greater understanding of how to create individual selling documents with maximum impact
- Know how to produce a 'selling' document that will support them in trying to secure interviews and/or to open up other work opportunities.
POLITE REQUEST: if you are successful in obtaining a place on this workshop and, due to unforeseen circumstances, you are unable to attend, please let us know asap because we have others on the waiting list who we can allocate your place to. If you do not let us know this will disadvantage another member. Also, we may lose the funds that enable us to provide these workshops to all members including yourself. NOTE: 1. If we were to postpone or cancel this workshop due to unforeseen circumstances (this has happened only twice in five years due to tutor illness and a tube strike), we will be unable to reimburse any costs such as pre-booked travel expenses. If this were to happen in the future, we will email and telephone you as soon as we know that there is a cancellation and attempt to re-schedule the workshop asap. 2. At the workshop, we are required to undertake a short equality & diversity survey. The information provided will be treated in the strictest of confidence and processed in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and will help in our commitment to E & D.
To apply for a place on this free, one-day workshop, please fill in the short application form below. You will need to login or register if you have not done so already so have your Union number to hand. All events have been over-subscribed to date so successful applicants will be chosen randomly after the cut-off date. We will let you know if your application has been successful within a couple of days of this date.
t: 07710 240585