Free one-day workshop for creative freelances: LONDON
Date: December 1st
Time: 10am – 4.30am
13 Norfolk Place
The end of the financial year (Jan 31, 2012) will be upon those of us who are self-employed soon.
To help you get to grips with key financial issues and to ensure that you don’t waste your hard-earned cash through ignorance, this free workshop includes:
Budgeting and money management
- Personal and business financial issues
- Short- and long-term aims and objectives
- Covering overheads
- Project direct/variable costs
- Survival budgeting
- Break-even analysis
- Practical trading and cash flow forecasting
- Profit and loss calculation
- Pricing and costing
- Agent and agency commissions, credit and debt control.
Legal Entities and Business Vehicles
- Evaluating and explaining business status such as employment, self-employment and owner-management
- Key Contract differentials for performers and stage management
- The pros and cons
- Income streams
- Trading names
- “IR35″/agency tax status issues
- Other liabilities.
Working with HMRC
- Business registration
- Tax explained, including Capital Gains Tax, Income and Corporation taxes plus VAT
- Allowable business expenses
- Personal, investment and capital allowances, tax credits, pension premiums, vehicle benefits and mileage allowances
- National Insurance Contributions: Classes (1,2,3 and 4) and main social security benefits
- Tax returns, bands, rates and dates: how to calculate, minimise and when to make payments.
- Books and record-keeping – what, why and for how long.
Business and Network Development
- The 80/20 rule
- Staying in control of your business
- Maximising the potential of valuable support.
Who should attend
- Those freelances working in the creative industries who wish to get a better insight into how to manage their finances effectively.
- A clearer understanding of what financial issues you need to cover when working for yourself
- A clearer understanding of how to use management information to achieve your objectives.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply for a place on this free, one-day workshop fill in the short application form by Nov 13. You will need to register on the site if you have not done so already so have your union membership number to hand.
All our workshops have been over-subscribed to date, so we will choose successful applicants randomly after the cut-off date and let you know if you have been successful (or not) in securing a place within a week after the cut-off date.
WHO’S AN FEU TRAINING MEMBER?
The National Union of Journalists, Equity, the Musicians’ Union and the Writers’ Guild are working together in this instance under the banner of ‘The Federation of Entertainment Unions’. This enables us to maximize resources to deliver skills development opportunities common to our multi-union members.
Our aim is to help the career progress of our freelance members through the recession and beyond by providing a range of free and low cost blended-learning opportunities.
Tel: 07914 937 243
Hi, Just tried applying for the Money Matters free workshop on Dec 1 but it’s not listed on the drop down list when trying to apply.
How do I register for this please?
Sorry, this workshop was for 1 December last year (2011). Keep checking the free workshops page as we may offer this workshop again in the near future. We also notify our subscribers by email when new workshops and courses become available.