Free workshop for members
10.30am to 4.30pm
National Union of Journalists
72 Acton Street
Podcasts have exploded in popularity thanks to ease of finding and listening to them with smartphone apps. This one-day kickstarter workshop will take you step-by-step through the process of creating a podcast from planning, recording and editing your show, to promotion and sharing. And, the best of it is, you can get started with just your smartphone and a couple of apps and accessories.
You’ll learn how to use your mobile to record audio solo, as an interview or conversation, create an intro and add music. After exporting your audio, you’ll find out how to upload your podcast to a website or host, then share it.
You can’t escape a little technology in the process, but we’ll keep it to a minimum so you can focus on creating your first podcast during an interactive, enjoyable day of learning, which includes:
1. Planning your podcast
- Establishing your goals
- Establishing your podcast title and niche
- Deciding the style of your podcast
- Creating podcast art
2. Creating your podcast
- Advice on microphone, recording equipment and environment
- Recording your podcast using mobile apps
- Finding and using music for use in your podcast
- Enhancing your voice with effects (Equalisation, compression and normalization)
- Exporting your podcast ready for upload.
3. Sharing your podcast
- Advice on selecting a podcast host
- Uploading your podcast and submitting to podcast directories
- Creating show notes and simple podcast videos
- Adding your podcast to a web page
- Using social media to promote your podcast.
Note: the tutor will endeavour to cover the most important topics in the time available, depending on group skills and speed. All topics are covered in depth in the accompanying PDF guide.
Who should attend?
Creative professionals like you. Musicians, performers, writers, broadcasters, filmmakers and journalists are all using podcasts to reach and engage new audiences. Prior experience of audio recording and editing is not required. You will need a basic level of computer skills.
What you need to bring
Please read carefully:
- Fully-charged mobile device (iPhone, iPad or Android) with the free Anchor podcast app, free Voice Record Pro app, and free SendAnywhere apps installed. Apps must be downloaded before the workshop.
- Headphones or earbuds are essential, and remember to bring cable and charger.
- PC or Mac laptop
- Note: The day will focus on using your mobile for podcasting, but will also include an introduction/ demonstration of using the free Audacity software, for Mac or PC, to edit and record audio. If participants would like to join in the introduction to Audacity, you should download and install the software before the workshop. Audacity can be downloaded at audacityteam.org
The trainer will bring microphones and other basic equipment, but participants are welcome to bring their own equipment if they have it.
Expected learning outcomes
By the end of the workshop, you will have a better understanding of how to plan, create and share your podcast.
Tutor: Dan Mason
POLITE REQUEST: if you are successful in obtaining a place on this workshop and, due to unforeseen circumstances, you are unable to attend, please let us know asap because we have others on the waiting list who we can allocate your place to. If you do not let us know this will disadvantage another member. Also, we may lose the funds that enable us to provide these workshops to all members including yourself.
NOTE: 1. If we were to postpone or cancel this workshop due to unforeseen circumstances (this has happened only twice in five years due to tutor illness and a tube strike), we will be unable to reimburse any costs such as pre-booked travel expenses. If this were to happen in the future, we will email and telephone you as soon as we know that there is a cancellation and attempt to re-schedule the workshop asap. 2. We are required to undertake a short equality & diversity survey, which you will need to fill in before or at the workshop. The information provided will be treated in the strictest of confidence and processed in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and will help in our commitment to E & D.
IMPORTANT: Unfortunately we cannot always offer everyone who applies a place due to high demand. We set up a waiting list and contact people if there are cancellations. If you do NOT receive confirmation that you have secured a place, please do not turn up on the day because we will not be able to admit you. However, please keep applying because we work hard to ensure that everyone has the opportunity to attend at some point.
To apply for a place on this free, one-day workshop, please fill in the short application form below. You will need to login or register if you have not done so already so have your Union number to hand.
All events have been over-subscribed to date so successful applicants will be chosen randomly after the cut-off date. We will let you know if your application has been successful within a couple of days of this date.
t: 07710 240585