Additional workshop, application to attend by invitation only
10.30am to 4.30pm
Upper St Martins’ Lane,
Podcasts have exploded in popularity thanks to ease of finding and listening to them with smartphone apps. This one-day kickstarter workshop will take you step-by-step through the process of creating a podcast from planning, recording and editing your show, to promotion and sharing. And, the best of it is, you can get started with just your smartphone and a couple of apps and accessories.
You’ll learn how to use your mobile to record audio solo, as an interview or conversation, create an intro and add music. After exporting your audio, you’ll find out how to upload your podcast to a website or host, then share it.
You can’t escape a little technology in the process, but we’ll keep it to a minimum so you can focus on creating your first podcast during an interactive, enjoyable day of learning, which includes:
1. Planning your podcast
- Establishing your goals
- Establishing your podcast title and niche
- Deciding the style of your podcast
- Creating podcast art
2. Creating your podcast
- Advice on microphone, recording equipment and environment
- Recording your podcast using mobile apps
- Finding and using music for use in your podcast
- Enhancing your voice with effects (Equalisation, compression and normalization)
- Exporting your podcast ready for upload.
3. Sharing your podcast
- Advice on selecting a podcast host
- Uploading your podcast and submitting to podcast directories
- Creating show notes and simple podcast videos
- Adding your podcast to a web page
- Using social media to promote your podcast.
Note: the tutor will endeavour to cover the most important topics in the time available, depending on group skills and speed. All topics are covered in depth in the accompanying PDF guide.
Who should attend?
Creative professionals like you. Musicians, performers, writers, broadcasters, filmmakers and journalists are all using podcasts to reach and engage new audiences. Prior experience of audio recording and editing is not required. You will need a basic level of computer skills.
What you need to bring
Please read carefully:
- Fully-charged mobile device (iPhone, iPad or Android) with the free Anchor podcast app, free Voice Record Pro app, and free SendAnywhere apps installed. Apps must be downloaded before the workshop.
- Headphones or earbuds are essential, and remember to bring cable and charger.
- PC or Mac laptop
- Note: The day will focus on using your mobile for podcasting, but will also include an introduction/ demonstration of using the free Audacity software, for Mac or PC, to edit and record audio. If participants would like to join in the introduction to Audacity, you should download and install the software before the workshop. Audacity can be downloaded at audacityteam.org
The trainer will bring microphones and other basic equipment, but participants are welcome to bring their own equipment if they have it.
Expected learning outcomes
By the end of the workshop, you will have a better understanding of how to plan, create and share your podcast.
Tutor: Dan Mason
t: 07710 240585