Free workshop for members
Date and time
4 Mar, 10.30am-4.30am
The Mercury Theatre
Negotiation is an essential skill for a freelance to master. Whether you are negotiating day rates or defined packages of work, it’s important to learn to represent yourself clearly and effectively with the aim of agreeing terms that you and your client are happy with.
This workshop will give you tools and tips for planning, preparing and conducting negotiations in a business like way. It will offer you insights into styles and processes that can help improve your effectiveness for future negotiations.
This workshop covers:
- the importance of principled negotiation
- how to prepare effectively
- how to gather the information you need to negotiate effectively
- how to find common ground
- how to focus on negotiation as a business transaction
- the importance of defining limits.
This workshop includes practical exercises to provide participants with the opportunity to try out what you learn in a safe environment.
Who should attend?
Anyone who needs to negotiate with clients, especially if they have found themselves in the past, agreeing to things they later regretted.
No specific qualifications are required.
Expected Learning Outcomes
By the end of the workshop you will:
- have gained a deeper understanding of the negotiation process
- be aware of the importance of planning effectively
- know how important it is to explore all the potential variables
- be aware of the relational aspects of negotiation
- see the benefits of joint problem solving as a negotiation style
- understand the importance of strategic thinking in negotiations.
Tutor: Muriel McClymont
POLITE REQUEST: if you are successful in obtaining a place on this workshop and, due to unforeseen circumstances, you are unable to attend, please let us know asap because we have others on the waiting list who we can allocate your place to. If you do not let us know this will disadvantage another member. Also, we may lose the funds that enable us to provide these workshops to all members including yourself.
NOTE: if we were to postpone or cancel this workshop due to unforeseen circumstances (this has happened only twice in five years due to tutor illness and a tube strike), we will be unable to reimburse any costs such as pre-booked travel expenses. If this were to happen in the future, we will email and telephone you as soon as we know that there is a cancellation and attempt to re-schedule the workshop asap.
To apply for a place on this free, one-day workshop, please fill in the short application form below. You will need to login or register if you have not done so already so have your Union number to hand.
All events have been over-subscribed to date so successful applicants will be chosen randomly after the cut-off date. We will let you know if your application has been successful within a couple of days of this date.
t: 07580 348726