Free online workshop for members based in England
15th Dec 2020
10.30am to 1.30pm
This workshop will help you take your podcasting skills to the next level through learning how to edit audio with Audacity.
Click below to register your details on Zoom
Please note that places on this Online Workshop are limited and you will only be notified by email if we can offer you a place. See notes below.
In this half-day workshop, you will learn all you need to edit your podcast using Audacity, the free audio editor for Mac and PC.
The workshop covers essentials such as importing, trimming and exporting audio in the optimum format for podcasts as well as going further to explore multi-track editing, effects and filters that will make your podcast pop.
The learning applies primarily to podcasts, but is also of value to any kind of audio editing. A PDF toolkit will be shared on the day, with links to tutorials and other resources.
Who should attend?
The workshop is suitable for those who have already completed our ‘Creating a podcast’ workshop and/or those who want to learn the basics of audio editing with a voice-based podcast in mind. Please note that this is a BEGINNER STANDARD workshop.
What equipment do I need?
If you are successful in obtaining a place on the workshop (we'll let you know shortly after the application deadline), you will need the following:
- Audacity software downloaded and installed from audacityteam.org – you need to do this before the workshop. Here is a short video that shows you how to download Audacity on your Mac or PC: https://youtu.be/7eO0suJtXlA If you have any difficulties, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Laptop or desktop computer (PC or Mac. Not Chromebook) with reliable internet connection
- Free account with Zoom (zoom.com), with free Zoom application installed on your computer
- Email access for file transfers (if required)
- Optional: Headphones, earbuds and microphone are not essential for this workshop, but participants are welcome to use them if available.
The training will take place online, using the Zoom platform (free).
You won’t spend all your time listening the tutor - the workshop will be as interactive as we can make it, combining learning with the networking that is always a valuable part of FEU Training workshops. It includes short exercises, as part of the learning process, which will also enable participants to work together.
This hands-on workshop will teach you how to:
- Navigate and operate the Audacity interface with confidence, including shortcuts
- Edit and trim voice and music files quickly and efficiently
- Record audio directly into Audacity, including microphone and recording tips
- Apply audio filters and effects to improve audio quality, including EQ, normalisation and noise reduction
- Source and edit music that may legally be used in podcasts
- Mix music and voice to create professional-sounding intros and outros
- Use audio excerpts to promote your podcast on social media
- Apply the recommended audio output settings used for podcasting.
Tutor: Dan Mason
We will let you know promptly after the deadline if you have obtained a place. Unlike our webinars, we have a limited number of places for each online workshop. If you do not hear from us, please assume that you have not secured a place on this occasion.
Once you have confirmed that you can participate, we will send you the workshop link. If you do not confirm promptly, we will offer your place to someone else on the waiting list.
If you confirm your place but find that you are unable to participate, please let us know asap so that we can re-allocate your place to someone on the waiting list. If you do not let us know this will disadvantage another member. Also, we may lose the funds that enable us to provide these free workshops to all members including you.
We may not be able to offer everyone a place on every workshop, but, if there is high demand, we will try to set up further workshops on this topic in the near future and those who did not get a place this time will be offered first refusal. Also, please keep applying because everyone will get a place on a workshop asap.
t: 07464 306 542